This recipe has been taken from the website: http://www.weelicious.com the site contains a wonderful library of delicious recipes especially for children.
Makes 12 regular-sized muffins
1/2 Cup Millet
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Cup Buttermilk (you can substitute with one Tbsp white vinegar in a measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 Cup. Let sit 5 minutes)
1 Large Egg
2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Ripe Bananas, mashed
3/4 Cup Dried Apricots, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Place millet on a baking sheet and toast for 5-6 minutes. Remove and toss the millet to make sure it is toasted evenly and toast an additional 5-6 more minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
3. Raise the oven temperature to 375 F.
4. In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the toasted millet.
5. In a separate bowl or standing mixer, beat the butter and sugar until combined, about 1 minute. Add the egg and beat for another minute.
6. Add the mashed bananas, vanilla extract and buttermilk and beat until combined.
7. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix in the chopped apricots until just combined.
8. Grease muffin tins and fill cups 2/3 full with batter.
9. Bake for 20 minutes if using regular muffin tins (or until a toothpick comes out clean) or 14 minutes if using mini muffin tins (or until a toothpick comes out clean).
10. Cool muffins for 5 minutes in their tins, remove and continue to cool.